Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Welcome to the Grand Illusion...


I had a lightning bolt hit me in the head the other day…

Well, not a real lightning bolt, but a sudden realization that felt like one…

Actually, it felt like more of a GOOOOONNNNNGGGGG-type reverberation… you know the kind I mean? The Tibetan monk-sort-of deep resounding gong sound…

I have five wonderful offspring who have been helping to keep it real for me for nearly 27 years…

We’re down to only two still living at home….

"Only a few more years and a couple of more kids to finish raising…"
I have been bragging this fact to the whole wide world (or anyone who will listen…. which makes a total of 8 people) as well as sharing that I can see the light at the end of my tunnel.

I’ve had daydreams of Tony and I having cocktails at the country club with Muffy and Biff when we reach the light…

Okay… so we don’t actually belong to the country club and I have no idea who Muffy and Biff are…

So it probably will go more like this….

We'll be meeting Ferry and Tay at the local pub for a pitcher of beer… WHENEVER WE WANT!

It’s MY dream, so bug off and let me have it!

I was struck with this sudden epiphany just the other day when I was spending half of my morning rolling over some worries that I was having for one of my adult-kids*…

*I realize that this is yet another case of the need to revise Websters, because although several of my tadpoles have already turned into frogs, they will still always be my tadpoles….
Thus the need for the addition of the term "Adult-Kids" ....
You Follow?

Recently as a friend and I were discussing our equally complicated lives with our large families, we were sharing a daydream of a time when we would be finished raising our families, which will be followed by ALL of them moving out and then we would finally reach the point when we would become free to not be involved with their drama…

In the middle of that blissful moment, I had this dream-bubble bursting thought…

I realized all at once, that the light at the end of the tunnel is really an optical illusion!!

The sense of total freedom in the not too distant future is false…bogus…phony…total BS to be blunt!!

I should have known all along!!

It all comes back to the adult-kid/tadpole-frog-tadpole thing!!

Your babies will always be just that in your heart …
YOUR BABIES

Even when they’re 35, they will still all be MY kiddos!!

With this sudden insight fresh in my mind, I raised my hands to the sky, the clouds parted and I shouted “WHHYYYYYY!”

After I finished my dramatic calling to the heavens scene in my mind, I came back to reality…

All I could muster was a deep breath and a sigh…

My friend listened carefully as I shared with her my new perspective…

She agreed and added that it was like when you are a kid and your parent is trying to teach you to swim and says ‘swim to me’ while holding their arms out, and as you swim, they keep taking steps backward and you never quite reach your destination….

I guess that’s the way parenting is…

Lets Recap:

  • Tadpoles grow to be frogs but forever remain your tadpoles!

  • Total Freedom from Parenting is a Lie that some bitter person made up to watch the rest of us make total fools of ourselves… and then suffer!

  • Parents trick their children while giving swimming lessons! (That’s just WRONG!)

  • I occasionally hear gongs in my head (but usually only when I think of something REALLY important… and sometimes it’s more like a bell, or occasionally a glockenspiel)



Digg this

0 comments:

My Recipe Page! RECENTLY UPDATED!!!

My Recipe Page!     RECENTLY UPDATED!!!
Looking for Cooking Inspirations? Check out some of my favorite recipes!

If You Need to Reach Out and Touch.....

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel Free to
E-MAIL ME!

PS -
I respond much more favorably to praise than criticism! ;)





Business 2 Blogger