Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Kind that's NOT from the Netherlands...


My daughter has decided to run for homecoming 'court' which has left me with two very distinct feelings.

First of all, I feel happy that her self-esteem is at a level where she would actually put herself out there in this way. (last year I actually encouraged her to throw her name in the ring and she said absolutely not because she said she could NEVER win)

Secondly, I feel scared that after the voting, if she doesn't 'make it', she will feel like she isn't 'good enough', which will then make me want to beat the sophomore voters over the head with pool noodle and ask them what is wrong with them for making such a terrible mistake!!!
(as well as insisting that they do a recount!)

All of this leads to the fact that she and one of her friends were creating posters to place around the school the other day...

I was trying to give them suggestions for campaign slogans to which her friend was politely laughing and my darling daughter was rolling her eyes...

As they went to write on these posters, I reminded them to be sure to spell everything correctly...
No one wants to vote for poor spellers...
(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

They said 'Duchess' is spelled D-u-t-c-h-e-s-s, right?

No, I said, there is not a 'T' in Duchess...
They weren't convinced so I went to dictionary.com and proved it to them once and for all...

They were relieved to make this discovery BEFORE they began 'postering'...

A couple of days later, another girl was over and said that my daughter's posters were the only ones that spelled Duchess right...

I overheard my daughter telling her friend that only stupid people would vote for someone who misspells the title that they are running for...

We'll soon see....

Fingers Crossed!!

And now I'm wondering what MY title will be if she wins...

Grand Duchess??
(I'll admit it.... I LIKE the sound of THAT!)

Will Tony be known as Duke after that?

or Grand Duke?

Do you think I should wait until AFTER the vote to change our titles in the phone book to reflect our possible new royal titles?


Digg this

5 comments:

halfbreedwoman said...

ohhh. I get to be the first to comment!!!- I would've misspelled Duchess...thought it had a "t." I guess that is why I didn't even get on the homecoming court. Go Gina!

Anonymous said...

Please be sure that when she is riding on the car hood in the parade that she remembers to wave like a grand duchess would: ARM, ARM, WRIST, WRIST, WRIST.
paula

Thoughts from the Deep End said...

GREAT tip on the arm wave!!
I'll get her practicing now.... just in case...

;)

Isn't it Amazing! said...

Quick!!! get to the phone book office and avoid the rush to get your titles in the 08-09 listings AND make certain they spell Jacqueline right!!

Gina's IN!!!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

YAAAAY for Gina! She is very beautiful and a good speller, so she should be a shoo-in!
And I would DEFINITELY change your name in the phone book and on your return address labels!
How long to we have to cross our fingers before we find out that she is the winner?!

My Recipe Page! RECENTLY UPDATED!!!

My Recipe Page!     RECENTLY UPDATED!!!
Looking for Cooking Inspirations? Check out some of my favorite recipes!

If You Need to Reach Out and Touch.....

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel Free to
E-MAIL ME!

PS -
I respond much more favorably to praise than criticism! ;)





Business 2 Blogger