Sunday, August 10, 2008

Unsolicited Advice From the Deep End


If you EVER buy your 15 year old daughter one of your children, a new queen sized bed...
and you have to buy all new bedding because you don't have any other q.s.b.'s in the house...
and your husband orders suggests that you "Just go buy the stuff without her!"
Do yourself a HUMONGOUS favor...
Listen to his demands advice...

How do I know this?
Let me give you the quick rundown...

  • New bed arrives
  • Sister is visiting from NC
  • She is on the same wavelength as husband
  • I am a rebel.... I want to do things MY way (which incidentally in THIS case was a mistake)
  • I say "It's HER (daughters) room, SHE should be there to see what she likes"
Here is where it gets ugly...

  • Sister says "okay, great!"
  • We go to first store and suggest 16 comforter sets... daughter looks and makes face similar to this:

I told you before, I get this one A LOT lately!!

  • By store #5... yes, you heard right.... store #5, we've heard all kinds of negative reactions, including "I HATE polka dots with a burning passion!" and "Eeew! Stripes are sooooo ugly!" and let's not forget the texture critiques including the "Too" family - too bumpy, too scratchy, too slippery(?) ...don't ask... because I have NO idea!

  • Sensing my breaking point, my sister becomes the voice of reason... "Just buy a set of sheets and deal with the comforter ANOTHER day" followed by the thought in her head, I'm sure, 'Another day after I'm gone!')

  • Sheet's grabbed
  • Home too late to cook - Pizza ordered
  • Catch sister glancing at me with "Poor you" eyes
  • TOTALLY embarrassed and want to strangle daughter

I couldn't even complain to husband because then I would have had to have listened to a 35 minute lecture on why once again I should obey listen to him!!
I'm safe though sharing my story with you, because he never reads my blog on his own!!

The end of the story was much happier!

  • Sister and I go shopping ALONE... for OURSELVES!
  • Happen to find comforter set that will work
  • Buy comforter set
  • Daughter loves it
    - I know because this is the look she gave me when I handed it to her:

What have we learned here:
  1. There IS such a thing as being too accommodating to your kiddos...
  2. 15 year olds can be pains in the butts...
  3. Occasionally, my husband is right
  4. $3000. can do wonders for your smile *see pic above where daughter just got her braces off!!

Digg this

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello.This is first time for me to visit your site.
I have three children (6year-old boy,4year-old boy,2year-old girl)
Did you buy queen sized bed for your daughter? Oh I envy your daughter, mine is single sized...
I'm happy if you link to my site.It is written in Japanese(some of the words are English) but show some pictures.
baratch family

As Cape Cod Turns said...

OOOOh, now I can't wait for my girls to be 15! I love her comments on the comforter. It did take quite a few stores (but stretched out over weeks) to find my 11 yr old the PERFECT comforter.
I miss the days of dressing them up in what I wanted to.

Thoughts from the Deep End said...

Those Baratch kids are tooooooo cute!!
Thanks for stopping by!

Sue - I know what you mean... I used to be able to clothes shop for my daughter back in the day, and she would love everything I gave her...
I hope that the easier going version of her is just on hiatus and will return in September like all the tv shows do!! ;)

;)
Jackie

Unknown said...

Hi Aunt Jackie!!! :) I'm cracking up reading this because Chelsea is 15 too, (can you believe it?!) and she makes the same faces that Gina does! Genetic? Probably not. Hormones? Partly so. Age? Definately yes! :) ha! Gina is so georgous!! And your family is absolutely beautiful and I'm loving reading your blog! You are so creative! I love you!! XO Jill

Unknown said...

Hi again. I know it says Jamie in the email address, but it's our google email at we dont use. My email is jj1smith@hotmail.com. xo Jill

My Recipe Page! RECENTLY UPDATED!!!

My Recipe Page!     RECENTLY UPDATED!!!
Looking for Cooking Inspirations? Check out some of my favorite recipes!

If You Need to Reach Out and Touch.....

I'd love to hear from you!
Feel Free to
E-MAIL ME!

PS -
I respond much more favorably to praise than criticism! ;)





Business 2 Blogger